Recipe by Luschka
I made this one evening when a vegetarian friend came over for dinner. I am a meat lover, but found this fantastic and didn't even miss not having meat in it. Hope you enjoy it too!
- 2 large aubergines
- salt and pepper
- 100 g soup pasta
- 50 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50 g button mushrooms, chopped
- 120 ml single cream
- 8 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 closed mushroom caps, sliced
- lemon juice
- parsley, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways, and scoop out the flesh. Reserve the shells, placing them in a gratin dish.
- Cut the flesh into chunks, and put it into a colander, sprinkling the layers with salt. Set aside over a bowl for 20 minutes then rinse well, and pat dry.
- Chop the aubergine flesh finely.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water for about 7 minutes, or according to the instructions on the package until just tender.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Then add the chopped aubergine and mushrooms, and continue to cook for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in the pasta, cream, Parmesan and parsley with salt and pepper to taste. Divide this mixture between the aubergine shells, spooning it into them neatly. Cook under a hot grill until they are golden on top.
- Quickly toss the mushroom slices in lemon juice, top the aubergines with the mushroom slices and sprigs of parsley, and serve at once.