Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make, hearty family favorite. Brings back memories of my childhood.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, peeled and chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage, caseings removed (can us sweet sausage for a milder taste)
- 7.39 ml dried parsley
- 7.39 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 4.92-9.85 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 425.24 g can crushed tomatoes
- 709.77-946.36 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 226.79 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 236.59 ml ditalini
- parmesan cheese, for grateing on top
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium high heat.
- Add diced onion and cook until it just begins to soften, about 2 minute.
- Add diced celery and carrots and continue to cook, stirring frequently for 3 or more minute.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrent, about 30 seconds.
- Add italin sausage, break it up with a wood spoon while it cooks. cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in the dried herbs and red pepper flakes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 min., stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the beans and pasta.
- Add extra cup of chicken broth if it needs to be thinned out.
- Simmer for 6-8 min, or until pasta is al dente.
- Serve with parmesan cheese grated on top.