Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make, hearty family favorite. Brings back memories of my childhood.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, caseings removed (can us sweet sausage for a milder taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 -4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ditalini
- parmesan cheese, for grateing on top
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium high heat.
- Add diced onion and cook until it just begins to soften, about 2 minute.
- Add diced celery and carrots and continue to cook, stirring frequently for 3 or more minute.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrent, about 30 seconds.
- Add italin sausage, break it up with a wood spoon while it cooks. cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in the dried herbs and red pepper flakes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 min., stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the beans and pasta.
- Add extra cup of chicken broth if it needs to be thinned out.
- Simmer for 6-8 min, or until pasta is al dente.
- Serve with parmesan cheese grated on top.