Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a delicious dish that includes beans, pasta and sausage meat all in one, topped with cheese then baked in the oven, it's a very popular Italian dish and there are many versions of this recipe, this one is a family favorite, I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does! --- If you prefer a dryer mixture then drain the tomatoes, ziti pasta works well in place of penne, please adjust the cayenne pepper to suit heat level, prep time includes cooking the pasta.
Top Review by UPmomto4
This was fantastic! I can't tell you how much all 6 of us enjoyed this. I was concerned that it might be a little "meat-heavy", but the end result was a hearty, satisfying dish. It was perfect at the end of a long afternoon of skiing. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed (can use mild, spicy is better to use)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or adjust to heat level, can use crushed chili flakes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, can use white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb dry penne pasta (can use more or less if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces provolone cheese, grated (more if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cook the pasta until just al dente (do not overcook); drain, do not rinse and immediately toss with 1-2 Tbsp oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
- In a large fry pan, sauté the sausage, ground beef, onion, garlic, dried oregano and thyme, over med-high heat, until the sausage and the ground beef are brown, crumbling with a fork while cooking (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and the cayenne pepper; simmer for 5-6 minutes (breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon).
- Add in the kidney beans, and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the cooked pasta, Parmesan cheese and parsley; toss to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a prepared baking dish.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and the mixture is hot and bubbly.