1/4 Photos of Pasta Fazool (Pasta and Beans With Sausage)
1 hr 5 mins
This is a delicious dish that includes beans, pasta and sausage meat all in one, topped with cheese then baked in the oven, it's a very popular Italian dish and there are many versions of this recipe, this one is a family favorite, I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does! --- If you prefer a dryer mixture then drain the tomatoes, ziti pasta works well in place of penne, please adjust the cayenne pepper to suit heat level, prep time includes cooking the pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed (can use mild, spicy is better to use)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or adjust to heat level, can use crushed chili flakes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, can use white salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb dry penne pasta (can use more or less if desired)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces provolone cheese, grated (more if desired)
- 1Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- 3Cook the pasta until just al dente (do not overcook); drain, do not rinse and immediately toss with 1-2 Tbsp oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
- 4In a large fry pan, sauté the sausage, ground beef, onion, garlic, dried oregano and thyme, over med-high heat, until the sausage and the ground beef are brown, crumbling with a fork while cooking (about 6-7 minutes).
- 5Add in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and the cayenne pepper; simmer for 5-6 minutes (breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon).
- 6Add in the kidney beans, and heat through.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Add in the cooked pasta, Parmesan cheese and parsley; toss to combine.
- 9Transfer the mixture to a prepared baking dish.
- 10Top with grated cheese.
- 11Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and the mixture is hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Fazool (Pasta and Beans With Sausage)
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.4
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 105.8 mg
- Sodium 1389.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 43.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: