Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
We had this weekly when I was growing up and it remains a family favorite.
Make and share this Pasta Fazool Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained,chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed,drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, freshly cooked
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 12 ounces fontina or 12 ounces provolone cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F Sauté first 6 ingredients in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and cayenne and simmer 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- Add kidney beans and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mostaccioli, Parmesan and parsley and toss to combine.
- Transfer to 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 30 minutes.
Made as written. Was very good, DH loved it. I did add about 1-1 1/2 cups of beef stock. There didn't seem to be enough liquid. Served with garlic toast and a salad. When DH waked in he said the smell was amazing.. He started to pick right out of the pan, LOL. Thanks for the post.
This is the same recipe as Kittencalskitchen that has RAVE reviews. Only difference I found was the kind of pasta used. Pasta Fazool (Pasta and Beans With Sausage). I made it and it went together easily. The only change I made was in lieu of ground beef I added finely chopped cabbage to the sausage and onion (sneaking in more veggies for the family.)