Recipe by MsKittyKat
We had this weekly when I was growing up and it remains a family favorite.
Top Review by Jules211
Made as written. Was very good, DH loved it. I did add about 1-1 1/2 cups of beef stock. There didn't seem to be enough liquid. Served with garlic toast and a salad. When DH waked in he said the smell was amazing.. He started to pick right out of the pan, LOL. Thanks for the post.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained,chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed,drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, freshly cooked
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 12 ounces fontina or 12 ounces provolone cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Sauté first 6 ingredients in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and cayenne and simmer 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- Add kidney beans and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mostaccioli, Parmesan and parsley and toss to combine.
- Transfer to 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 30 minutes.