Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Ferraro’s is a casual, off the strip , award winning restaurant located across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe. The wine is excellent, the homemade food is authentic and moderately priced. Past awards include Best Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator, as well as great reviews in Zagat and Michelin. I love this soup. Thanks, Gino, for sharing! This pasta Fagioli Soup recipe is world class. There are many dishes, including the homemade pasta that I love at Ferraro’s in Las Vegas, but this soup is definitely one of my favorites and I order it every time I am in Vegas. Close your eyes and you just may be transported to the hills of Tuscany while you savor this sopa. This family owned restaurant measures up to any Italian restaurant anywhere.Gino Ferraro opined he would only charge $250,000 for this recipe. I’m grateful for that, Gino. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to afford! One thing is for sure. This is a special place with spectacular homemade Italian food.
- 3 ounces diced pancetta (diced small)
- 10 cloves crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 head chopped escarole (chopped small)
- 10 basil leaves, sliced
- 14 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1 lb cannellini beans
- 1⁄2 lb pasta (tubbetti or ditalini) or 1⁄2 lb substitute if not available a small tubular pasta
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 ounces salt
- 1 ounce black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- Place olive oil and pancetta in pot.
- Saute until pancetta is crisp. Add onion, garlic. When they become golden in color, add the escarole .
- One minute later, add the basil, followed immediately by the whole can of tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes with your hand before adding.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add the beans, chicken broth, salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 30 minutes at medium flame.
- In the meantime, cook your pasta “Ditalini” (or substitute) for 5 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked, strain and add to the pot with the beans. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Serve.