1 hr 45 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage, removed from its casings
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, a 1-inch square rind of, cut into small pieces
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over moderate heat.
- 2Add in the sausage and cook, breaking it up and browning it, until it loses all its pink color, 10-12 minutes.
- 3Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan; add in the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and rosemary; saute for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- 4Add in the wine, salt, and pepper; boil until the wine is reduced to about 2 tablespoons (this shouldn’t take long).
- 5Add in the tomatoes; bring the mixture to a boil, stirring well.
- 6Pour in the broth and add the cheese rind and beans.
- 7Simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 25 minutes, until it thickens a bit.
- 8Add in the pasta and simmer for another 10 minutes, until the liquid has thickened.
- 9Sprinkle the cheese on top; transfer to a 350° preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or so, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden; serve hot in soup bowls.
- 10OAMC: Make as directed through step 8; cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- 11Defrost the casserole in the refrigerator overnight (if frozen); preheat oven to 350°; let casserole come to room temperature for 30-40 minutes.
- 12Sprinkle cheese over the top; bake for 20-25 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden; serve in soup bowls.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Fagioli Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (608 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 916.6
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.3 mg
- Sodium 3586.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 135.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 50.7 g