Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Make and share this Pasta Fagioli (Bean) Soup With Smoked Ham recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups rotini pasta, uncooked
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces smoked ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced small
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large stock pot, saute' onions,carrots and pepper in olive oil until tender. Add garlic,basil,oregano and ham Cook for 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, crushing them until they have a thick consistency.
- Add chicken stock and kidney beans, bring to a boil and stir in Rotini, boil until pasta is done. Scoop off excess fat.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add mushrooms, Cover and set aside for about 5 minutes. Top with Parmesan cheese and scallions before serving.
Verra tasty. I don't use ham, so I used some home-smoked turkey (a wing), and used it to make some of the stock. I also doubled down on the basil, oregano, and garlic, as I am a spice ho, and I have yet to see too many recipes that couldn't be improved with a larger amount of spices than what's called for. Seems to me that most published recipes are way timid about using spices.
And, as I had no rigatoni, I used ditaloni. I also wasn't brave enough to try 4 "cloves" of cloves. I did use garlic. Now that I've tasted the soup, I'm thinking cloves would have made this soup taste way weird.
I thank the PTB for the 'Net and Food.com. An endless assortment of recipes so I never have to cook the same thing twice! Unless it was THAT tasty, of course...lol
my guess is that the 4 cloves finely chopped refer to garlic and not the spice.