1/1 Photo of Pasta Fagioli
2 hrs 10 mins
Petite Mommy's Note:
"This traditional pasta and white bean soup is an Italian classic. Be sure to cook the pasta until just al dente. Keeping it a bit chewy or "toothsome" insures it maintains a low glycemic index (description courtsey of Dr. Weil's Optimal Eating Plan)." This is from the wonderful recipe collection of Dr. Weil. I highly recommend all of this dishes but especially this classic!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup small dried white bean
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cups water or 10 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup small shell pasta (orzo or small shells)
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- additional extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1Wash the beans. In a large pot, cover them with cold water. Soak for 6-8 hours. Drain into a colander.
- 2In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, and saute until soft.
- 3Add the beans and water or stock. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, add the rosemary, and simmer 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- 4Raise heat to high, add the pasta, and cook until al dente.
- 5Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with the chopped parsey. Serve accompanied by grated Parmesan cheese and the optional extra-virgin olive oil.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Fagioli
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.8
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 203.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 12.5 g