Recipe by ChefRaylene
Another great recipe from McCall's cooking school. I always make this for my mil. So many great flavors in one dish, YUM. Enjoy.
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a sharp knife, cut sausage diagonally into 1" wide pieces. In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
- While sausage browns, cut eggplant into 1/2" cubes. Add eggplant, onon and garlic to sausage in skillet; cook 5 minutes longer until eggplant is tender; stirring frequently. Stir in paprika; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and 1 tsp salt to eggplant mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, partially cover pot and simmer 35 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350. In large saucepan, cook pasta according to package. Drain; stir into sauce.
- Spread half of the epplant-pasta mixture in a shallow 2 1/2 qt baking dish. Top mixture with ricotta cheese, spreading the cheese evenly. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining eggplant-pasta mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake on center rack for 40 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.