Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very fast soup to make. A cousin to the Italian favorite Pasta e Fagioli, this is made with peas instead. Dust with freshly grated Parmesan for a final touch.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (or mixed pasta shapes,about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with side of chef's knife
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or 3 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaf, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta as label directs in boiling salted water; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-quart saucepan or saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Then, carefully add chicken broth, tomatoes with their juice, basil, and 1/2 cup water. Return heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes; discard garlic.
- Add peas and pasta; heat through. Serve soup with grated Parmesan cheese.
This soup is delicious. Served with crusty bread, you have dinner in less than 30 minutes. Made for Alphabet Soup Game. Thanks for posting Al!