Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
A very fast soup to make. A cousin to the Italian favorite Pasta e Fagioli, this is made with peas instead. Dust with freshly grated Parmesan for a final touch.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (or mixed pasta shapes,about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with side of chef's knife
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or 3 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaf, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta as label directs in boiling salted water; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-quart saucepan or saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Then, carefully add chicken broth, tomatoes with their juice, basil, and 1/2 cup water. Return heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes; discard garlic.
- Add peas and pasta; heat through. Serve soup with grated Parmesan cheese.