Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was watching David Rocco today and he featured this recipe. I knew I had to save it here so the next time I buy prosciutto I can make this great looking dish.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 ounces prosciutto or 4 ounces salami, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 10 ounces tomato puree
- 10 ounces spaghetti, broken in small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino cheese, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano, freshly grated
- Heat up extra virgin olive oil in a deep saucepan. Add prosciutto or salami and cook until crisp.
- To make the 'soffritto', add vegetables, salt, black pepper and chili pepper. Saute until the onion becomes soft, then add potatoes. Stir to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan.
- Add water and tomato puree. Add spaghetti to the pot. Mix together well and add pecorino cheese.
- Add water, a little at a time periodically and cook for a few minutes until the soup is creamy and thickened.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parmigiano cheese. Allow to cool and thicken, Serve at room temperature.