Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great, flavourful soup and the prep time is short. I got the recipe from a friend who got it from a magazine. The recipe originally calls for 1/2 lb of sausage, but if you love it like I do, go ahead and add a whole pound. Great stuff! Prep and cook times are approximate. I forgot to time it. No extra oil needed as the sausage will omit some as it cooks down.
- 1⁄2-1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- Cook sausage in a 6 quart pot or dutch oven. Add onion and cook on low until tender. Add remaining ingredients except the last three. Bring to a boil and add macaroni, spinach, and cheese then simmer until pasta is tender.