Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
You can use Romano or Asiago cheese for this recipe, but I usually use mozzarella because that's what I have on hand. Prep time includes draining and rinsing beans, slicing carrot, etc.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked pasta
- 8 ounces seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup peas (frozen or canned)
- 1⁄8 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄8 cup grated cheese
- Sauté carrots in the olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic. Cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and pasta; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans; cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in peas. Cook till pasta is tender and heated through.
- Top with basil and cheese.
I've had this recipe in my queque for a little while now, and all I can say is, what took me so long??! This recipe is a deliciously helpful transitional change to meatless meals. One that I will look forward to again and again. The only change was to double and I also used fresh sugar snap peas in place of the suggested canned or fronzen peas. We did not miss the meat at all. Thanks so much for this delicious recipe, JESMom!!