1 hr 10 mins
This is a satisfying, simple to make soup with stuff you probably have on hand! I got this recipe a few years ago from a coworker after she made it for one of our office luncheons. It was delicious! We couldn't get enough of it. I've since made it in so many different ways, proving soups versatility. Wether you use fresh herbs or dry, powdered garlic or fresh, it's hard to screw up this soup. Although I did once, when I used stock instead of water for the soup base. I was not pleased with the flavor at all. Another nice touch if you like (which I do), is to incorporate some type of meat such as ham or italian sausage. This makes for a bit of a heartier soup, and a great meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 1 (1 lb) box ditalini (any small, but not tiny pasta)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 -3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (8 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes or 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon lite olive oil or 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1/2-1 lb ham (optional) or 1/2-1 lb Italian sausage (optional)
- 1In large pot saute onions in 1Tblsp oil until soft.If you are using fresh garlic, add now and saute briefly with onions but do not let brown.
- 2Add 2 cans of beans and 2 cans of WATER.
- 3Add parsley.
- 4Add salt and pepper to taste (if using garlic powder, add now).
- 5Cook for about 20 minutes on medium until it starts to bubble.
- 6Add tomato (sauce, diced or stewed) and a small amount (1 tsp) of oil.
- 7Bring back to a boil & reduce to medium low, cook another 20-25 minutes.
- 8Let stand about 10 minutes and it will be ready to serve.
- 9In another pot, make pasta as directed on box.
- 10Drain but do not mix with bean soup.
- 11*If using meat in the recipe, saute it with the onions, then remove it before adding beans and water. Reincorporate it after the 20-25 minute simmer, and the meat will heat through while the soup is standing for the 10 minutes.
- 12To serve put a scoop or two of pasta in bowl and several scoops of bean soup.
- 13If desired top with raw onion or grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta E Fagioli (Kinda)
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 859.5
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 322.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 160.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 42.2 g