Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled and cooked hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled and cooked ground beef
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 lb cooked penne or 1⁄2 lb mostaccioli pasta
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or 1 cup Fontina cheese
- Saute sausage, beef, onions, garlic, oregano and thyme.
- Add tomatoes, juice, paste and cayenne.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then add beans.
- Combine with pasta and parmesan.
- Spoon into casserole dish and top with mozzarella or fontina and bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- This dish may be frozen prior to baking, but be sure to thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours before baking.
Sorry, just no to our liking but there was nothing really wrong with the recipie.
I made this last night for dinner and it was unbelievable! I did add a pinch of sugar to the sauce. This was so good that my husband went back for seconds!
This recipe turned out great, the house smelled great while it was baking. I added a tablespoon of sugar to cut the acid because it had so much tomatoe in it. My son and husband insist on a repeat. and I will.