Fagioli is the Italian word for beans. Serve this classic soup with thick crusty bread for a very wholesome dinner!
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml chopped garlic
- 473.18 ml chopped onions
- 473.18 ml sliced carrots
- 236.59 ml sliced celery
- 236.59 ml chopped red pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh basil or 14.79 ml dried basil
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 793.78 g canitalian style plum tomatoes
- 19.71 ml condensed chicken broth (boullion)
- 709.77 ml boiling water
- 354.88 ml small sized pasta (I use shells)
- 396.89 g can red kidney beans, drained
- 396.89 g can white kidney beans, drained
- shaved parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add garlic& veggies and cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes until onions are translucent.
- Stir in spices; add tomatoes with their liquid& concentrated chicken stock that has been dissolved in the boiling water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Taste& adjust seasoning.
- Stir in beans& cook for about 5 minutes longer to heat through.
- Ladle into soup bowls& top with a few shavings of Parmesan.