1/1 Photo of Pasta E Fagioli
Fagioli is the Italian word for beans. Serve this classic soup with thick crusty bread for a very wholesome dinner!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can italian style plum tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons condensed chicken broth (boullion)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups small sized pasta (I use shells)
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- shaved parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven.
- 2Add garlic& veggies and cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes until onions are translucent.
- 3Stir in spices; add tomatoes with their liquid& concentrated chicken stock that has been dissolved in the boiling water.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5Add pasta and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 6Taste& adjust seasoning.
- 7Stir in beans& cook for about 5 minutes longer to heat through.
- 8Ladle into soup bowls& top with a few shavings of Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta E Fagioli
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.9
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 405.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.3 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 22.3 g