Recipe by CountryLady
Fagioli is the Italian word for beans. Serve this classic soup with thick crusty bread for a very wholesome dinner!
Top Review by Geema
Fantastic, Delicious, Healthy, and Easy are just a few of the superlatives that describe this hearty soup. I love to make soup and this one is as good as, or even better than any I've made...even my own recipes. I browned some hot Italian turkey sausage and added it in the begining with the vegetables, and at the end of the cooking time, I tossed in a couple of handfuls of baby spinach. I kept the seasoning the same, and it was perfect for our taste. I'm going to pass this recipe on to quite a few of my friends and family, CountryLady. A big thank you for this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) canitalian style plum tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons condensed chicken broth (boullion)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups small sized pasta (I use shells)
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- shaved parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add garlic& veggies and cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes until onions are translucent.
- Stir in spices; add tomatoes with their liquid& concentrated chicken stock that has been dissolved in the boiling water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Taste& adjust seasoning.
- Stir in beans& cook for about 5 minutes longer to heat through.
- Ladle into soup bowls& top with a few shavings of Parmesan.