Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A diabetic-friendly recipe from another website. Exchanges are: 2 carbohydrate (2 bread/starch), 1 vegetable.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed well
- 3 cups canned fat free low-sodium beef broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 ounces penne pasta or 6 ounces other pastas
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Spray a nonstick pot with cooking spray.
- Add the onion, carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms; saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans, and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Combine pasta with soup and serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled in each serving.
A good hearty healthy vegetarian soup! I couldn't find cannellini beans so I substituted with red kidney beans and I added tiny pasta shells at step 5. Thanx Jacqueline!
The recipe didn't call for any spices. I added 3 cloves of finely minced garlic with the onion as well as 1/2 tsp basil. Sliced the vegetables thin with the food processor. It was very good. Thanks!