A great tasting Soup, and pretty easy to make, has great color, great with some crusty italian bread. I made my own chicken stock so calories was more. Enjoy :)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup ditalini or 1⁄2 cup other small shell pasta
- 1⁄2 lb swiss chard leaves or 1⁄2 lb spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- parmesan cheese
- Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Cook,stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the broth, tomatoes (with juice),beans, and pasta.
- Cook,stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked.
- Add the Swiss chard and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until the swiss chard is wilted.
- For added flavor, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and black pepper on the pasta e fagiole just before serving.
This is a great version of this soup that I have made many times. You can substitute spinach leaves (which I seem to have in the house more often than not) in place of the chard. I am thinking the *swiss cheese* mentioned in the ingredient list does not belong???
Simple and incredibly delicious!
Delicious AND healthy! I made this today for lunch and really enjoyed it. I used some chard that I got from the local farmers market with orzo for the pasta. I couldn't resist throwing in a teaspoon of oregano while it was cooking (I like oregano). Very yummy, thanks Anna.