Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Thick pasta & bean soup best served with crusty bread or baguette. I got this recipe from Yahoo's recipe of the day. It is very simple to prepare and since I didn't have seasoned tomatoes, I added 2 tsp italian seasoning..as well I used red kidney beans..perfect for the winter season..
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) canrecipe-ready tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry pasta (such as rotini or elbow macaroni)
- 1 ounce freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1 ounce pecorino cheese
- Generously coat a large saucepan or Dutch oven with olive oil cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until they have begun to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, beans and broth.
- Add a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in Pasta and cook until tender but firm, about 12 minutes.
- Add more stock, pepper and salt, if needed.
- Ladle the thick soup into bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese.
This soup is great! It is a rare recipe that please my husband, my picky 3 year old, and even my twin 13 month olds! My husband who isn't a soup or a bean fan raved about it. I used kidney beans instead of cannellini and I added some chili powder. I also used a can of regular stewed tomatoes and added my own basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Great recipe!
This was amazing!! I found the tomatoes the recipe was talking about, and I also added some chili powder, crushed red pepper, italian seasoning, and sea salt. It was an absolute winner!!!!
I thought this soup was wonderful.The next time I will add some celery and some kidneys beans for color and flavor.