Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious dish, perfect for cool days
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 slices bacon, finely diced or 1⁄4 cup salt pork, rinsed and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pasta (ditalini)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over med heat. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes. Add the onion and saute until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the broth and tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the beans, cheese, parsley, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with slat and pepper.
- Bring a med pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just done. Drain and add the pasta to the soup. Serve hot.