Recipe by KathyP53
My family loves this dish as prepared at a Italian restaurant in our community. My kids have eaten it since they were very young. This recipe is very similar. It's from Giada D.
- 4 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 85.04 g pancetta, chopped
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 1360.39 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (822.13 g) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 177.44 ml elbow macaroni
- freshy ground black pepper
- 0.25 ml red pepper flakes
- 78.07 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf in a large piece of cheesecloth ans secure closed with kitchen twine.
- Heat 1 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoons butter in heavy, large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, pancetta, and garlic and saute unti onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add broth, beans, and sachet of herbs. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Decrease heat to medium and simmer until veggies are very tender, about 10 minutes. Discard sachet.
- Puree 1 cup of bean mixture in a blender until smooth. Before putting puree back into soup, add macaroni and boil with lid on until tender but still firm to bite, about 8 minutes. Return puree to the remaining soup in the saucepan and stir well. Season soup with ground black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with some Parmesan and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil just before serving.