Recipe by Valerie in Florida
I love this soup and finally found an authentic Pasta e fagioli with simple ingredients and big flavor.
Top Review by LouLouIzSpoiled
Very good! I used the canned diced tomatoes, as I like the texture better than the whole tomatoes. Also, I used homemade vegetable stock. The result was a very good soup that we enjoyed. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will add in some Italian seasoning or basil to boost the flavor even more!
- 1 (28 ounce) can white beans
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 quart vegetable stock or 1 quart meat stock
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes
- 2 cups short pasta (e.g. orecchiette, ditalini, fusilli)
- 3⁄4 cup parsley
- salt, black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop pancetta and finely chop onion.
- In a large pot, heat pancetta and onion in 1 tbsp of the oil.
- keep stirring and sauteing until the fat on the pancetta is translucent.
- Add beans and 1 quart stock and bring to a low boil.
- Drain tomatoes and chop, omitting the juice.
- Stir into the soup.
- Puree two ladles of soup with a blender.
- Return puree to the pot. Add pasta and continue simmering until it is al dente.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Top with parsley.
- *** I choose to cook my pasta seperate and add it later into my soup bowl. That way, the pasta does not continue to soak up the moisture of the soup, making it very soft.
- Enjoy !