Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve this with fresh italian bread and a garden salad. A perfect meal for any day of the week.
- 1 lb penne
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced in strips
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the broiler.
- Lightly coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook 5 to 6 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms and red pepper, cook 3 to 5 minutes, until soft.
- Set aside with the chicken.
- Add the butter and flour to the saucepan and stir, until blond and pasty.
- Whisk in the broth and cumin until smooth.
- Add the cream, sherry, nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the sauce is thick.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms and cooked penne and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Top with the parmesan and broil until the cheese is brown.
This was very nice and we enjoyed it, but I felt there was something missing. Don't know or that could be onion, garlic, lemon or something else. Used more cheese for the topping then the recipe asked for.
This was a very tasty dish that I will make again. I didn't have the "real thing" & didn't want to buy it so I used "cooking sherry". Next time I'll probably use half & half instead of evaporated milk.