Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a very tasty casserole, I have only made this using penne pasta, but you can of coarse use any kind of pasta that you desire, make certain to use a pasta that will hold up well when cooked a second time in the oven, and only cook the pasta until just fork-tender, as it will cook more in the oven, don't cook it to the same texture that you would if you were using it immediately, just drop into boiling water and cook until JUST a bit tender. If you are using low-sodium chicken broth in place of the water, make certain to season with salt and pepper (if using) towards the end of cooking in the frypan. If you prefer a more spicy taste, then add in a finely chopped jalapeño pepper for extra heat! Serve this with a side salad.
Top Review by Sarah&Hannan
I made this last night for my husband and I. I liked that this recipe is super easy, made with ingredients that one is pretty likely to have on hand, and doesn't take all that long to make. Since I didn't have everything the recipe called for, I had to make some changes: WW angel hair pasta instead of penne, 2/3 c. green olives as this is all I had, 3/4 c. salsa, and only one 4 oz can of green chilies. I used ground chicken for this recipe. With all that said, I enjoyed this recipe, and especially since it is so easy to put together and the ground chicken makes it a lightier dish but still very hearty, I will make this again in the future! My husband liked it and I think this will become part of our rotation, I will try to use black olives next time though, maybe even throw in some black beans. It wasn't AMAZING, but good for a quick dinner on a week night. Thanks Kittencal!
- 8 -10 ounces penne pasta (cooked to only firm-tender, drained and set aside)
- 2 lbs uncooked ground chicken (can use ground beef also)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional or to taste, but good to use!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (more if needed, can use low-sodium chicken broth in place of water if desired, or use half of each)
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (or use my own Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 2 (11 ounce) cans whole kernel corn (use the corn mixed with sweet peppers if possible)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced pitted olives (use the large green pimento-stuffed, also you can use black)
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄4 cups salsa (or to taste)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chili peppers, drained
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
- In a skillet cook the ground chicken with onion and garlic until brown.
- Stir in water (or chicken broth if using) and taco seasoning mix; bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked pasta, corn, olives and half of the shredded cheese, salsa, chile peppers and green bell pepper (if using); mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a prepared baking dish.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Bake covered for about 35 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes.