Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I snuck a meatless meal into my husband with this recipe. He didn't realize there was no meat until he got halfway through his second helping. However, you CAN add some chopped up pepperoni, or other meat, to the sauce, or you can use marinara sauce that has meat already in it. I used asiago instead of Parmesan as I had that on hand. I found this recipe in a Chicago Tribune article on quick meals for weeknight dining.
- 1 (16 ounce) package medium pasta shells
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chianti wine or 1⁄4 cup another dry red wine
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley (I didn't use it) (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the marinara sauce, mushrooms and Chianti in a large deep skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the pasta into a large baking dish; add the sauce mixture, stirring to combine. Distribute spinach over mixture; sprinkle basil over spinach. Sprinkle cheese over greens. Bake in preheated oven until cheese melts, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.