Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my answer to poor planning. I usually have all the ingredients on hand. This is a family favorite. For those with gluten intolerance corn spaghetti substitutes nicely.
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, thick sliced
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Cut bacon into little pieces, approximately 1" square and saute in a small frying pan with the butter until bacon barely begins to brown. It should be a bit crunchy but not dry.
- Microwave half and half for one minute and add bacon and butter. Add the vinegar; this will turn the half and half into cheese. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, or until sauce cooks smooth.
- Boil spaghetti al dente. Drain and return to the pan. Immediately throw in the eggs, bacon sauce and grated cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste, toss and serve immediately.
This is an awesome dish but credit should go where it is due. But for one substitution--i.e., cream rather than milk--this recipe is directly from Jeff Smith's "Frugal Gourmet" cookbook printed in 1978. I have been using this recipe for 30 years. It is one of my family favorites.