Recipe by Ginny E.
This is my answer to poor planning. I usually have all the ingredients on hand. This is a family favorite. For those with gluten intolerance corn spaghetti substitutes nicely.
Top Review by David S #2
This is an awesome dish but credit should go where it is due. But for one substitution--i.e., cream rather than milk--this recipe is directly from Jeff Smith's "Frugal Gourmet" cookbook printed in 1978. I have been using this recipe for 30 years. It is one of my family favorites.
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, thick sliced
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into little pieces, approximately 1" square and saute in a small frying pan with the butter until bacon barely begins to brown. It should be a bit crunchy but not dry.
- Microwave half and half for one minute and add bacon and butter. Add the vinegar; this will turn the half and half into cheese. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, or until sauce cooks smooth.
- Boil spaghetti al dente. Drain and return to the pan. Immediately throw in the eggs, bacon sauce and grated cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste, toss and serve immediately.