Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I tried to search a bunch of different ways, and I could not find this recipe on here. I am surprised, as it was widely published and so easy. Great for company too. I will post it her way with a few of my notes. This is not health food, except for the soul. Read the recipe all the way through, as you need to cook things simultaneously and use pasta water. I serve this with a green salad and crusty bread with garlic butter.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta (I have also used penne)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped (my local store sells this already chopped in a pillow pack...a huge time saver!)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 egg yolks, large
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese (I often double this)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- finely chopped flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Add a liberal amount of salt and the rigatoni. Cook to al dente (about 8 minutes).
- Heat a (very!) large skillet over medium heat. Add EVOO and pancetta. Brown pancetta (2 minutes). Add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add wine and stir up all of the pan drippings.
- Beat yolks, then add 1 large ladleful (about 1/2 C) of the pasta cooking water to them. This tempers the egg and keeps them from scrambling when added to the pasta. (I use a wire whisk to whisk the water in, and do this when the pasta is maybe 3/4 done).
- Drain pasta well and add it directly to the skillet with pancetta and oil. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta. Toss rapidly to coat the pasta without cooking the egg.
- Remove from heat and add a big handful of cheese (the 1/2 to 1 C), lots of pepper, and a little salt. Continue to toss until the pasta soaks up the egg mixture and thickens, 1-2 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and extra cheese, if desired.
Just made this tonight...one difference in the recipe I got from her website and yours, she called for 3 egg yolks. We really enjoyed it but thought the sauce was a bit too spicy for us and a bit too thick. Next time I will reduce the red pepper flakes and add twice as much pasta water. I also used only 8 oz of pasta and the amount of sauce was just right for that. <br/>Thanks for posting!
This was very easy and delish. I think next time I would double the sauce as we like lots of sauce.
Wow this was so easy and so good. My kids loved it and they are very picky eaters. I will be making this many more times in the future.