Recipe by Steve_G
Yummy / easy / fast pasta dish, Great weekday meal.
Top Review by Kevin Young
I thought this was really good. It's the first pasta carbonara recipe I've seen without cream and it worked very well. I did add about a cup and a half of sliced mushrooms, and 1/2 cups chopped scallions which made it really nice. The scallions gave it a bit of color too. Good dish.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced into 1/4 -inch pieces (6 to 8 slices)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (, about 2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese (, about 3/4 ounce)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press or minced to paste
- 1 lb spaghetti
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, set large heatproof serving bowl on rack, and heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil in large Dutch oven or stockpot.
- While water is heating, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering, but not smoking.
- Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until alcohol has cooked off and is slightly reduced, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Beat eggs, cheeses, and garlic together with fork in small bowl.
- When water comes to boil, add pasta and 1 tablespoon table salt, stir.
- Cook until al dente Reserve 1/3 cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta for about 5 seconds, leaving pasta slightly wet.
- Transfer drained pasta to warm serving bowl if pasta is dry, add some reserved cooking water and toss to moisten.
- Immediately pour egg mixture over hot pasta, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes or 3/4 teaspoon table salt-- toss well to combine.
- Pour bacon mixture over pasta, season generously with black pepper, and toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.