Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
For best results, use the freshest ingredients available. This recipe calls for less oil for a healthier pasta dish. Sometimes I drizzle lightly with balsamic vinager. Bon Appetit, May 1997
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1x1/2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Mix tomatoes, mozzarella, oil and vinegar in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature. Mix in basil.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain.
- Return pasta to pot. Add tomato mixture and toss gently to blend. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This recipe incorporates all my favourite flavours so I loved it! I used baby plum tomatoes and light mozzarella. Beautiful summer meal- thanks for sharing it!
Oh my gosh!! I used to make this dish years and years ago and loved it! I forgot all about it until I saw your recipe. Thanks, can't wait to make it again!
Wow! We loved this recipe. Used garden tomatoes ... what a difference. I also used balsamic vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar. Great flavor!