Recipe by SusieQusie
When served, this dish will be very warm, not hot. The success of this recipe depends on high-quality ingredients, including ripe, in-season tomatoes and a fruity extra-virgin olive oil. Don’t skip the step of freezing the mozzarella, it will prevent the cheese from turning chewy when it comes in contact with the hot pasta. If handmade buffalo or cow’s milk mozzarella is available (it’s commonly found packed in water with a relatively short shelf life), skip the step of freezing. Additional lemon juice and sugar should be added at the end to taste, depending on the ripeness of the tomatoes.
Top Review by Donnakay
Just wanted to thank you for this recipe. It is not exact but very similar to a dish I used to order at a little Italian place when I lived in Germany. I've not found a place around here that makes it. It is both light and satisfying. I could eat this several times a week. Thank you again.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (see note above)
- 2 -4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 lemon (see note above)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 small shallot, minced fine (about 2 tablespoons)
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (see note above)
- 1 lb pasta (short tubular or curly, such as penne, fusilli, or campanelle)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar (see note above)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, garlic, shallot, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in large bowl.
- Add tomatoes and gently toss to combine and set aside. (Do not marinate tomatoes for longer than 45 minutes.).
- While tomatoes are marinating, place mozzarella on plate and freeze until slightly firm, about 10 minutes.
- Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil in stockpot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; stir to separate, and cook until al dente. Drain well.
- Add pasta and mozzarella to tomato mixture and gently toss to combine.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Gently stir in basil; adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice or sugar, if necessary, and serve immediately.