Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from cooking with my pal, Angelo. The olives and capers give it a great flavor. Please be sure to rinse the salt from the capers before cooking. Hope you enjoy!!
- 1 lb pasta (I prefer small pasta for this dish, such as farfalle, ditalini, small rigatoni, etc.)
- 1 cup eggplant, chopped into very small pieces
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons green olives and black olives, chopped (good olives!)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, please used salted capers,not the brine variety,this makes a big difference in flavor (I use more)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 34 ounces crushed tomatoes
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat oil in large saute pan.
- Add celery, green peppers, olivers, capers, garlic and eggplant.
- Saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and hot pepper (if using).
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Toss with cooked pasta and serve.
- Note that this pasta dish is not one that should have grated cheese!
My husband and I love capers, garlic, eggplant, and olives. I followed the recipe just as posted (including using the salted capers, but using triple the amount). The result was on the bland side, for our tastes- sorry. We did end up adding the hot pepper flakes for seasoning. Thanks for posting.