Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fresh basil and thyme are really important in this soup, so be sure to use only fresh herbs.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- fresh basil sprig (optional)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot margarine or butter till tender but not brown.
- Add vegetable, chicken, or beef broth- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta- Return to a boil.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or till pasta is al dente (tender but still firm).
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and garbanzo beans- Heat through.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh basil and thyme.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and, if desired, garnish with fresh basil.