Recipe by Luschka
I've not tried these yet, so the timings are guesses. If you make it before I do, please let me know how long it took.
- 100 g dried vermicelli
- 1 dash olive oil
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
For the filling
- 30 ml sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100 g baby sweetcorn
- 100 g green beans, mangetout
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 45 ml soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, and add the vermicelli with a dash of olive oil.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil for deep frying, and pack the cooked vermicelli into the bird’s nest, if using. Otherwise, fry the vermicelli in batches in a frying basket. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes in hot oil, until the vermicelli is crisp and golden.
- Remove the basket from the bird’s nest and drain on paper towels. Repeat the process to make all the baskets. Arrange the baskets of loose vermicelli on individual serving plates.
- To make the filling, heat the sesame oil in a frying pan and sauté the garlic for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the sweetcorn, mangetout and carrots, stir and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until tender. Stir in the soya sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then spoon into the vermicelli baskets or onto a bed of vermicelli to serve.