Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This simple pasta salad is named for the Italian flag, which it echoes with its red, green and white ingredients. The better the tomatoes are, the better this dish.
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb ziti pasta
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted (or more, to taste)
- 2 -3 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- black pepper
- 10 -12 leaves fresh basil, julienned
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente; drain.
- While the pasta's cooking, mix next four ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add cooked pasta; toss so pasta is thoroughly coated with oil and tomatoes are distributed evenly.
- Sprinkle with black pepper to taste and shreds of basil and toss again.
- Crumble feta on top.
- Toss again just before serving.
Terrific pasta salad. I made this for my husband's brown-bag lunch today (I packed the olive oil separately so it wouldn't make the tomatoes mushy). Absolutely wonderful flavor and so simple. I think this could also work with fresh mozzarella cheese--even more Italian! Thanks for posting.
I had this salad at a friends house and it was fantastic. I love this salad and will make it this week when we grill. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe. Ri :0)