Recipe by Mitsein
This is a simple, quick and relatively healthy pasta recipe (especially if you use whole wheat pasta and low fat cheese). I recommend using shorter pastas like penne, ziti, farfalle, macaroni or rotini. If you want to use spaghetti or linguine, break the noodles into thirds or quarters. You can also use any kind of sauce. I prefer vodka tomato sauce, but I've also used garlic basil, and it tasted great. I also stick the dish under the broiler for a minute or two after it's done baking to make the cheese brown and crispy.
Top Review by Dr. Gonzo
This is an awesome recipe. My wife told me one night we were having this dish and I, being the carnivore I am, was immediately apprehensive. Not that I dislike either Pasta or vegetables, but I am of the older mindset that the meal is not complete without a nice hunk of meat. Using baby portabella mushrooms really make up for the lack of a true protein. They are fleshy and mix in with the vodka sauce and mozzarella extremely well. I suggest every wife make this for her meat loving husband.
- 2 cups dry pasta
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, divided
- 1 cup vodka sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups lowfat mozzarella cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil pasta in hot water until just underdone (two minutes or so less than the instructions on the box).
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add peppers and mushrooms to the saucepan and sautee until just tender (about 5-7 minutes).
- Drain pasta.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix sautéed vegetables, fresh tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- Add vodka tomato sauce and 1 cup of the low fat Mozzarella cheese and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish. I use a 9" X 5" bread pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese and the remaining Tablespoon of Parsley over the top of the pasta.
- Bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes or until the cheese on top is brown and bubbly.