- 14 ounces smoked cooked sausage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and mashed
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta, 2 1/4 cups
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion, with green tops
- 2 large medium red ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot, 1 medium carrot
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- additional fresh basil (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring pan with 2 to 3 inches of water to a boil.
- Turn heat off and add sausage.
- Immediately cover pan and let sausage stand 15 minutes.
- Remove sausage to a plate and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette dressing by mixing dry mustard, salt, pepper, garlic and vinegar together in a small bowl.
- Slowly whip in olive oil to form an emulsion.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place in large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup vinaigrette dressing.
- When cool, slice sausage into thin 1/4-inch slices.
- Remove garlic clove from vinaigrette dressing.
- Add sausage, peas, onion, tomatoes, carrots, 1/4 cup basil and remaining vinaigrette to the pasta.
- Sprinkle top with cheese. Garnish with fresh basil.