Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of the best Lentil Soup's I have eaten and it is so easy to put together.
Make and share this Pasta and Lentil Soup-Food Network's Magazine recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water, I used less, about 3 cups
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 piece parmesan cheese, rind (optional)
- 8 ounces orecchiette or 8 ounces other small shell pasta
- 2 (14 ounce) cans lentils, 1 drained and rinsed, the other can undrained
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- kosher salt
- crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Cook stirring occassionaly until the onion is slightly soft about 2 minutes.
- Remove 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside.
- Add the tomato paste and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, 4 cups water and the cheese rind if using.
- Bring mixture to boil, then add dry pastaand cook stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, drained and undrained.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the pasta is tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime whisk 1 tablespoon parsley and and 1 tablespoon water into the reserved oil.
- Stir 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and the remaining parsley into the soup.
- Remove cheese rind.
- Add salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with flavored oil and top with grated parmesan cheese.