This is one of the best Lentil Soup's I have eaten and it is so easy to put together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water, I used less, about 3 cups
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 piece parmesan cheese, rind (optional)
- 8 ounces orecchiette or 8 ounces other small shell pasta
- 2 (14 ounce) cans lentils, 1 drained and rinsed, the other can undrained
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- kosher salt
- crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- 3Cook stirring occassionaly until the onion is slightly soft about 2 minutes.
- 4Remove 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside.
- 5Add the tomato paste and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 6Add the chicken broth, 4 cups water and the cheese rind if using.
- 7Bring mixture to boil, then add dry pastaand cook stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- 8Add the lentils, drained and undrained.
- 9Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the pasta is tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- 10In the meantime whisk 1 tablespoon parsley and and 1 tablespoon water into the reserved oil.
- 11Stir 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and the remaining parsley into the soup.
- 12Remove cheese rind.
- 13Add salt to taste.
- 14Ladle into bowls and drizzle with flavored oil and top with grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta and Lentil Soup-Food Network's Magazine
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 206.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 22.2 g