From "What's for Dinner?" by Maryana Vollstedt. A combination of grains and pasta with subtle herb seasoning, slightly chewy. I was happy to find that my whole family loved this...even the 5 year old! Hooray! It's delicious.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, barley and orzo and stir until grains and pasta are coated.
- Add chicken broth, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Add parsley and fluff with a fork. Serve immediately.