Recipe by Bibliophage91
Got it from a website that got it from a 'Soprano's' cookbook... I think. Tasty dinner mostly from pantry ingredients!
- 2 ounces pancetta or 2 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, broken into bite-sized pieces
- salt (to taste)
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, cook the pancetta in the oil over medium heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until the garlic is golden.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and parsley and bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Crush some of the chickpeas with the back of a spoon.
- Add 4 cups (1 L) water to the pot and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta and salt to taste.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the pasta is al dente, tender yet firm to the bite. Add more water if necessary to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot; it should be just loose enough to require eating with a spoon.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with coarsely ground black pepper.