Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced leek (about 1 small)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, undrained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby lima bean
- 1⁄2 cup frozen French-cut green beans
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked Italian pastina (tiny star-shaped pasta) or 1⁄3 cup any small shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons commercial pesto sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, leek, rosemary, and garlic, and sauté 10 minutes.
- Add tomato, water, broth, and chickpeas, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add zucchini, peas, lima beans, and green beans; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in pastina, parsley, and pepper, and cook 8 minutes.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1 teaspoon pesto sauce and 1 teaspoon cheese.