Recipe by By The Lake
I got this recipe from the "Shut up and Mangia" website. ZAAR is my favorite website to save all my recipes to. The author writes: "One of my old family recipes is this mostaccioli and cauliflower dish. My Grandmother made this dish for almost every occasion. It's different and delicious. I never ate ham when I was younger, so when I went to my grams house she alway made sure that I something other than the ham to eat. I'm the only one who still makes it. But, as soon as my cousins in California and New Mexico find out I have the recipe I'm sure they'll try to make it themselves. This combination can be made two ways. You could mix the ingredients to be very thick and creamy with no trace of cauliflower or you can mix it and leave larger pieces of cauliflower. Which ever way you decide to make it I can assure you it's a very filling dish. I make this recipe at least once every two weeks. The kids are just starting to enjoy it but I'm sure they will be making it for their children in the future."
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
This is an excellent dish! I did use Penne Pasta. I used dry bread chunks and crushed them and minced jarred garlic. With the parmesan cheese I used some grated pepper jack. Next day: I took the leftovers and browned some hamburger,added mushrooms and stewed tomatoes and presto, another wonderful dish, so not only is this recipe great but also the start of another main dish meal. Thanks for posting
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 bunches of long green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil cut up pieces of cauliflower in 6 quarts of water until tender.
- Saute long green onions, garlic and about a half a cup of bread crumbs in one stick of butter for about 5 minutes or until breadcrumbs are slightly brown.
- With a slotted spoon remove cauliflower and add to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Stir adding remaining butter and bread crumbs.
- Cook the pasta in the cauliflower water until done. Around 10 minutes.
- Add around a cup of cauliflower water to the breadcrumb mixture to moisten.
- Mix the mostaccioli and cauliflower together .
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and you ready to serve.
- Not a good time to diet if you make this dish.