Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni, shells, etc
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, 2/3 cup
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed well, then drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (rinsed well, then drained)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon summer savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Cook pasta in boiling water for about 6 minutes, until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, in Dutch oven or 4-5 qt saucepan, heat oil.
- Stir in onion, garlic, and green pepper.
- Saute till tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except macaroni.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain well.
- Stir into other ingredients.
- Garnish if desired.
- Variations: - substitute or add other vegetables such as chopped sweet red shredded carrot to sauteed veggies; substitute 1 t basil and 1 t oregano for savory, thyme, and cayenne pepper.
This soup is a glorious quick winter meal, and is in regular rotation at our house. I often use less liquid and omit the pasta and serve with fresh bread.
It's excellent! Good tasting & nice and thick, You can eat it with a fork!!!