Recipe by cruzzo
My version of a favorite restaurant dish. The sauce is very flexible--you can vary the amounts of garlic, wine and red pepper flakes to suit your tastes. This sauce has a great smoky, bacony flavor and makes a wonderful meal served with pasta, a salad and fresh, crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (you can vary the amount depending on how much you like garlic)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (do not use maple-flavored bacon)
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Place enough olive oil in a large sauce pan to cover the bottom and heat over medium flame.
- Place onions, garlic and bacon in pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until bacon is cooked through.
- Add wine and bring to a boil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and then fill the empty tomato can about halfway with water and add to pan.
- Add as much or as little red pepper flakes as you like.
- Simmer over low heat for about 1/2 hour.
- Serve with penne pasta (or pasta of your choice).