Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My version of a favorite restaurant dish. The sauce is very flexible--you can vary the amounts of garlic, wine and red pepper flakes to suit your tastes. This sauce has a great smoky, bacony flavor and makes a wonderful meal served with pasta, a salad and fresh, crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (you can vary the amount depending on how much you like garlic)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (do not use maple-flavored bacon)
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- red pepper flakes
- Place enough olive oil in a large sauce pan to cover the bottom and heat over medium flame.
- Place onions, garlic and bacon in pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until bacon is cooked through.
- Add wine and bring to a boil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and then fill the empty tomato can about halfway with water and add to pan.
- Add as much or as little red pepper flakes as you like.
- Simmer over low heat for about 1/2 hour.
- Serve with penne pasta (or pasta of your choice).
Great recipe! This was really easy to make and had an excellent flavor. I would definitely make this one again!
I loved this dish, the only changes i made was to use chicken stock instead of the wine (i don't like wine so it is never in the house), and i poured out all but 1 tb of bacon grease. i really thought it was wonderful. my 2 year old son didn't like it at all, and my husband thought it was good but he likes a more meaty dinner. oh well while my son didn't eat it for dinner, the next day he ate almost half of the left overs cold for lunch, go figure.
Great recipe, but I made some changes. I did put the water in, but it made the sauce too thin. I added about 1/4-1/3 cup of heavy cream and a butter/flour mixture to thicken the sauce. Next time, I will not add the water, but will add the cream, and that should be thick enough. Also had some fresh basil on hand, which I added at the end. Parmesan is a must too! My husband went crazy over this and I ate way more than I should have!