Recipe by Stacky5
This is one of Nick Stellino's recipes. I just LOVE Nick Stellino...He's so funny to watch, and I really like his style of cooking. He's quite possibly the one man in the entire universe that I would marry....*wink*
Top Review by IngridH
Yummy pasta! I liked the touch of heat from the pepper flakes- it grows as you eat the dish, but never becomes overpowering. Half a recipe was a good size for a single serving. I think this needs a bit more seasoning, maybe some oregano or marjoram and thyme, and possibly some salt- depending on how salty your bacon is, of course. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks for posting a wonderful, easy pasta dish.
- 3 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 ounces sliced pancetta or 6 ounces bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil
- 16 ounces uncooked pasta (penne, ziti or rigatoni)
- 5 tablespoons grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring pasta to boil in large pot. Heat the olive oil and the garlic in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until the garlic starts to brown, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the pancetta (or bacon), onions, and red pepper flakes; cook until bacon begins to brown and onions soften. Pour in the red wine and stir up any brown bits that might be clinging to the bottom of the pan. Boil until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken stock, and chopped basil. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Drain well, then return to the pot. Pour sauce over pasta and cook, stirring, 3 minutes over medium heat, until the sauce is absorbed. Add the cheese. Toss well and serve.