Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Rachael Ray
Top Review by Linky
I made this for my friend who is recuperating from knee surgery - she rated it 5 stars. I thought it was a little too "soupy" and I wish I'd been able to use the correct ingredients (I subbed bacon for pancetta and dried herbs for fresh). My DH thought it should be 4.5 stars. I will make this again and re-rate when I find authentic pancetta!
And now 7 months later, I had all the correct ingredients and it was absolutely wonderful!!
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- red pepper flakes (a couple of shakes)
- 1⁄2 medium Spanish onion (minced or grated)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked until al dente
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, brown pancetta over medium heat; remove from pan and drain on paper towels; wipe out the pan.
- To the pan, add olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper; heat until the garlic speaks.
- Add in the onion; cook 5 minutes to sweeten the onion.
- Add in the tomatoes and herbs; stir in reserved pancetta.
- Heat through and decrease heat to low; simmer until the pasta is cooked, drained and ready to serve.
- Combine the sauce and pasta in a hot pot and dump onto a serving platter.